Welcome from the Director
It’s our pleasure and privilege to welcome you to SOAR, the Society of Active Retirees. As a lifelong learning community, we offer exceptional lectures, field trips, special events, film festivals, shared interest groups, study groups, and other activities to engage and entertain our audience. Nearly 1200 members from metropolitan Detroit enjoy our programs. Anyone with a curious mind and a passion for learning is welcome to join. Just explore our website to learn more!
You’ll find that something is always going on at SOAR. You can:
- Explore topics that have always intrigued you in history, philosophy, literature, religion, art, science, current events and more.
- Take day trips in the greater community and discover new places, sights, and history.
- See the world with a fresh perspective as you enjoy a stimulating book or film discussion, a provocative lecture, or an insightful question from a fellow learner.
- Share your experience, insight and expertise by delivering a class or volunteering to support the organization in countless ways.
- Use your skills and maintain a sense of accomplishment by joining a committee and helping to keep SOAR strong for the future.
And you can participate in all of these activities in a casual atmosphere with no tests, papers or grades, where classes are fun for both attendees and instructors. There are no entrance requirements at SOAR except a love of learning.
You’ll also find that SOAR is more than just something to do. Our members tell us that SOAR has sparked countless new friendships, new ways of thinking…even a new zest for life.
So I invite you to become a SOAR member today. The following pages describe us in more detail, including information on how to join us. Begin enjoying the many benefits of lifelong learning!
Ralph Stromberg, Executive Director, SOAR
Dionna Lloyd, Associate Director
Ronda O'Neal - Administrative Assistant